The annihilation of the terrorist sect, Boko Haram moved a step closer to fruition as air strike by Nigerian military killed several top echelons on the group and its leader, Abubakar Shekau is said to be fatally injured.
The report said a number of fighters were targeted last week in the Sambisa Forest near Gambaru in Borno state, near the border with Cameroon.
“Their leader, so called ‘Abubakar Shekau’, is believed to be fatally wounded on his shoulders,” said the statement released on Tuesday by Colonel Sani Kukasheka Usman, army spokesman.
Usman also said three Boko Haram commanders – Abubakar Mubi, Malam Nuhu and Malam Hamman – were confirmed dead and several others wounded.
The military has reported Shekau’s death in the past, only to have a man purporting to be him appear later, apparently unharmed, making video statements. There was no immediate reaction from Boko Haram to the government’s claims.
The big question is what will be the implication of this on the effort of the government to rescue the abducted Chibok girls.